Representative Of An Overseas Business

Our immigration team, XT 24, boasts extensive expertise in successfully preparing applications for the Representative of an Overseas Business Visa, commonly known as the Sole Representative Visa.

Important Notice:

The Sole Representative visa is no longer available for new applicants. However, existing visa holders can apply for extensions and, when eligible, apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain.

Overview of the Representative of an Overseas Business Visa:

The Representative of an Overseas Business Visa, or Sole Representative Visa, is a UK immigration category enabling overseas businesses without a UK presence to assign a senior employee to establish a branch or subsidiary. This category also allows employees of overseas media organizations to be posted in the UK for long-term assignments.

Qualification Criteria for the Sole Representative Visa:

To qualify for the Sole Representative Visa, you must meet specific requirements:

  • Be a senior employee assigned to establish and supervise a branch or subsidiary.
  • Represent an active and trading overseas employer.
  • Have been recruited outside the UK by the business you represent.
  • Intend to work full-time for the overseas business or media organization.
  • Possess sufficient funds to support yourself and your family.
  • Meet the English language requirement.

Additional Requirements for Sole Representatives:

Sole Representatives must also meet the following:

  • Be a senior employee with the necessary skills and authority.
  • Not have a majority stake in the overseas business.
  • Demonstrate genuine commercial justification for establishing a presence in the UK.

Visa Period and Extensions:

If approved, you’ll receive a three-year visa, extendable for two years without a set maximum limit. Extension criteria include maintaining the UK branch’s ownership, full-time employment, and providing evidence of business generated.

Work and Study Privileges:

As a Sole Representative, you can only work for the overseas business you represent. Additionally, studying in the UK is permitted under certain conditions.

Family Sponsorship:

The Sole Representative visa allows you to bring a dependent spouse or partner and dependent children under 18.

Path to Indefinite Leave to Remain:

After five years of continuous residence in the UK as a Sole Representative, you may be eligible to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain. Requirements include continuous compliance with immigration laws, ongoing employment need, meeting Sole Representative route criteria, managing absences, and demonstrating English language proficiency.

For more information about XT 24 and our personal immigration services, please contact a member of our team who can address your queries and guide you through the process.

Interpol Compliance Specialist
Visa Specialist / Coordinator