Adult Dependent Relative Visa

At XT 24, we recognize the challenges of living apart from loved ones, especially when a family member requires care or becomes infirm.

Our team of seasoned immigration experts is dedicated to guiding clients with sensitivity through the process of applying for an Adult Dependent Relative (ADR) visa.

What is an Adult Dependent Relative visa?

The ADR visa allows eligible adult relatives in need of care to relocate to the UK and live with a qualifying relative who is a permanent resident in the country.

Does my relative qualify for an Adult Dependent Relative visa?

To be eligible for an ADR visa, your relative must meet the following criteria:

  1. Your relative is 18 or older.
  2. They are a close relative (parent, grandparent, sibling, or child over 18).
  3. They require long-term care for everyday personal and household tasks due to age, illness, disability, or condition.
  4. The necessary care is unavailable or unaffordable in their current country of residence.
  5. You can support, accommodate, and care for your relative in the UK without relying on public funds for at least 5 years.

In addition to the above, you must be one of the following:

  • A British or Irish citizen.
  • Settled in the UK (e.g., granted indefinite leave to remain or Settled Status).
  • From the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, or Liechtenstein with Pre-Settled Status.
  • Hold refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK.

How can my relative apply for the visa?

Applications typically must be submitted in the applicant’s country of nationality or residence, as adult dependent relatives cannot usually switch into this category from within the UK.

What period of leave will be granted?

If your relative’s application is successful and you are a British Citizen or settled person, they will be granted indefinite leave to enter.

If your relative’s application is successful and you have limited leave, they will be granted leave of a duration aligning with your leave’s expiration. Subsequently, they can apply for an extension of leave or indefinite leave to remain alongside you when you are eligible to apply.

For further information about XT 24 and our personal immigration services, please reach out to a member of our team who can address your queries and assist you throughout the process.

Visa Specialist / Coordinator
Litigation Partner