Skilled Worker Visa

If you are seeking employment in the UK and have secured a position, you may qualify for a Skilled Worker visa. The Skilled Worker visa route stands as the primary work visa option in the UK, allowing employers to sponsor individuals for employment or enabling individuals already in the UK under a switchable visa to transition into this category.

What is a Skilled Worker visa?

A Skilled Worker visa grants permission to reside and work in the UK for up to 5 years. If you have a partner or children under 18, they may also be eligible to join you. After 5 years of continuous residence in the UK under the Skilled Worker route, you and your family may apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain, paving the way for permanent residence in the UK and, subsequently, British citizenship.

What are the eligibility criteria?


Your potential UK employer must sponsor your visa application, necessitating the possession of a UK sponsorship license and the assignment of a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) to you. A CoS is an electronic document detailing information about your prospective role.

If the company lacks a sponsor license, they must apply for one and obtain it before proceeding with your Skilled Worker visa application.

Job at an Appropriate Skill Level

The role you are undertaking must be at or above the minimum skill level, identified as Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF) 3, equivalent to UK A Level.

As part of the application, your prospective employer must select an occupation code closely matching your role, meeting the required skill level.


The minimum salary threshold for your application depends on factors like the occupation code aligning with your role, whether you are considered a New Entrant (subject to specific eligibility criteria), or if your role faces a shortage of qualified workers in the UK.

The general minimum salary threshold for Skilled Worker visas ranges from £20,960 to £26,200. However, your visa application’s minimum salary may be higher based on your occupation code and working hours.

English Language

Fulfilling the English language requirement is essential. This can be achieved through various means, such as being a national of a Home Office-listed majority English-speaking country, having a degree taught in English (verified by ECCTIS, as necessary), or passing a Home Office-approved English language test at the required level.

If you believe you meet the eligibility criteria and genuinely require a Skilled Worker Visa, or if you wish to learn more about us and our Corporate Immigration services, please contact a member of the XT 24 team. They can answer your questions and guide you through the process.

Human Rights Senior Solicitor
Immigration Attorney