Representative of an Overseas Business

Our immigration team, XT 24, has extensive experience in preparing successful Representative of an Overseas Business Visa applications, also known as a Sole Representative Visa.


The Sole Representative visa is no longer open for new applicants. However, existing visa holders can apply for extensions and, when eligible, for Indefinite Leave to Remain.

Representative of an Overseas Business Visa:

The Representative of an Overseas Business Visa, or Sole Representative Visa, is a UK immigration category allowing overseas businesses without a UK presence to assign a senior employee to establish a branch or subsidiary in the UK. This category also applies to employees of overseas media organizations on long-term assignments.

Do I Qualify for the Sole Representative Visa?

To qualify, you must meet these requirements:

  • Be a senior employee assigned to establish and supervise a branch or subsidiary.
  • Represent an active overseas business with no UK commercial presence.
  • Have been recruited outside the UK by the business you represent.
  • Intend to work full-time for the represented business or media organization.
  • Have sufficient funds and meet the English language requirement.

Additional Requirements for Sole Representatives:

  • Possess skills, experience, and knowledge necessary for the role.
  • Not have a majority stake or control in the overseas business.
  • Demonstrate genuine commercial justification for the UK presence.

Leave Duration and Extension:

If approved, you’ll receive a three-year visa. You can extend it for an additional two years, with no set maximum number of extensions. Extension criteria include demonstrating the UK branch remains wholly owned, your full-time employment, and evidence of generated business.

Permitted Activities in the UK:

Sole Representatives can only work for the overseas business they represent. Studying in the UK is also permitted under certain conditions.

Bringing Family:

The visa allows you to bring a dependent spouse or partner and dependent children under 18 at the initial application.

Settlement in the UK:

After five years’ continuous residence, you may apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain. Requirements include compliance with immigration laws, continued employment need, meeting Sole Representative criteria, limited absences, and English language proficiency.

For more information about XT 24 and our personal immigration services, please contact a member of the team for guidance and assistance.

Litigation Partner
Human Rights Senior Solicitor