Fiancé And Proposed Civil Partner Visas

Embarking on the journey of building a life together with your partner in the UK is a natural desire. At XT 24, our team of immigration solicitors, with extensive expertise, is here to assist you in preparing Fiancé(e) and Proposed Civil Partner visa applications.

Our dedicated team will provide expert guidance to ensure you meet all the eligibility criteria and requirements set by the Home Office, facilitating a smooth and successful application process.

Fiancé and Proposed Civil Partner Visas

What do these visas entail?

A Fiancé(e) or Proposed Civil Partner visa is a category in UK immigration that allows a British citizen or a settled individual (holding indefinite leave to remain in the UK) to have their fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner join them for the purpose of marriage or entering into a civil partnership in the UK.

Qualification Criteria for Fiancé(e) or Proposed Civil Partner Visas

Do I qualify?

To qualify for the visa as the fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner of a British citizen or settled person, certain criteria must be met:

  • Both you and your partner must be 18 or older.
  • You should be in a genuine and subsisting relationship.
  • Neither you nor your partner should be married to, or in a civil partnership with, another person at the time of applying.
  • Intent to marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK within six months of entering.
  • Meeting financial requirements.
  • Fulfilling the English language requirement.
  • Intent to live together permanently in the UK.

Meeting Financial Requirements

How can I meet them?

In most cases, you need to demonstrate that your partner has an annual income of at least £18,600 or that you and/or your partner have savings of at least £62,500. Combining income with savings is possible in certain circumstances, with additional rules for self-employed individuals.

Application Process for Fiancé(e) or Proposed Civil Partner Visas

How do I apply?

Applications are typically made in your country of nationality or residence, and you cannot switch into this visa category from within the UK.

Period of Leave and Extension

What about the duration of the visa?

If approved, you’ll receive a six-month Fiancé(e) or Proposed Civil Partner visa, during which you’re expected to marry or enter into a civil partnership. Afterward, you can apply to switch into the Spouse category. Extension for a further six months may be possible with a valid reason for not marrying within the initial period.

Activities in the UK and Settlement

What can I do in the UK, and how quickly can I become settled?

Visa holders cannot work in the UK initially. Switching to the Spouse category is necessary before being eligible to work. Time spent on a Fiancé(e) or Proposed Civil Partner visa does not count towards settlement; only time under the Spouse category accrues towards settlement. Therefore, early transition to the Spouse category is usually advisable.

For additional information about XT 24 and our personal immigration services, please get in touch with a member of our team who can address your queries and guide you through the process.

Interpol Compliance Specialist
Immigration Attorney